Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Final Statement




The collection of photos that I took from our class trip to EUR are a nice culmination of my photos taken this semester. I have always been interested in geometry, bold graphic photos with strong lines and shapes. I spent my time in Rome shooting urban landscapes, trying to focus on the architecture and contrast of old and modern structures. I visited EUR earlier in the semester and had a great experience shooting the neighborhood that does not seem like Rome at all. When we returned as a class, I brought a different lens and was able to capture the buildings from a new perspective. My knowledge and photography experience had grown between the two visits. Here is an image from my first visit to the area:


The building is flattened and simplified into geometric shapes of arches, rectangles and squares. I captured the moment when a plane was flying above the building leaving a white streak behind adding an unintentional line to the composition. The combination of the references to the ancient colosseum and the modern straight lines results in an interesting juxtaposition. 


On my second visit there the contrast of the white buildings on the blue sky was vibrant. This is a photo I took of the same building however this time I decided to include the organic elements of the tree. The silhouette of the leafless branches against the white structured architecture interact. I took a similar picture with the traditional camera that Prof. Amato brought for us to use. 

You can see I had the same intentions with this photograph: to include nature in front of the strong architectural elements. In black and white gives the scene more depth than in the color one where the trees are simply silhouettes. 

I am fascinated with this building and am glad I got to visit EUR multiple times and shoot the scene with many cameras. My development can be seen from these three photos. 

Phoebe 

No comments:

Post a Comment